Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thankful for Day #27

... for dedication. I am training for a 1/2 marathon right now. I am not a runner! But I got sucked into this race a couple months ago thinking that it would be a good way for my husband and I to do something together. Cuz I am not gonna get him to scrapbook anytime soon. And I realized we don't do a lot together that doesn't involve the girls. I thought we'd be able to train together and then of course do the race together. It was also going to be an exercise in positivity for me. Even though I HATE running, I figured I could focus on what it would do for my body (hello weight loss - hopefully) and it would bring Joel and I closer. So training was supposed to begin November 1st, but knowing how out of shape I was, I began the 2nd week of October. A sort of training for the training if you will. Well little did we know he would tear his ACL and be out of the race. I think the old me would have jumped up and down at this opportunity to bow out of the race. Or at least to not take it so seriously and therefore jump off the training schedule. I say the "old me" because this new me has done the complete opposite.

Yep, I have stuck to the traiing regimen. I even ran my training distance last Saturday in the rain! Yuck! But my dedication really set in today while up in Tehachapi visiting the inlaws. Tehachapi is a much higher elevation than where I live. I think the difference is a few thousand feet. With that comes thinner air and much cooler temps. Couple that with the fact that a storm was going to come in tonight and let's just say that last night I was less than optimistic about having to do this run. I found brain working to find an excuse not to run. Or to run later. But I couldn't find one and finally it just came down to me having to do it. So I did. I set out in the high 40 degree temps and started off on my 6 mi run. this is the farthest distance I have had to run in my traiing. Quite possibly the farthest distance I have ever one in one straight shot. I was prepared for it to be difficult. I was prepared for my legs to gas out. I was prepared to walk if I had to. But to my complete surprise and utter amazement, I ran the whole thing!!!! It wasn't easy by any means, but I did it.

I am not sure where this dedication has come from. I think a large part of it comes from not wanting to let my husband down. Not that he would hold it against me if I didn't do it. He knows I am not a runner. There's also the money I paid to be in the darn race. But it's coming from somewhere deeper and I am so thankful. I am proud of myself for having stuck with this so far. Let me tell you, not drinking soda the day before my run is not fun. I still can't fathom that my body will run 13.1 miles in just about 8 weeks. But I know if my dedication can stay strong, it will.

No comments: