Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Oh to be a kid again ...

A couple of weeks ago, we decided to dive into sorting through our garage and organizing it. Cabinets were purchased (thank you Craigslist) and work began. Due to the condition of the cabinets, not to mention that fact that our garage has been a nightmare since we moved in over 2 years ago, this job called for some later than normal nights. While we tackled to real work, the girls got to play outside til well after dark.

It will never cease to amaze me what their imaginations can pull together. Earlier in the day, Hannah had a bunch of toys out on the front lawn. She said she was camping and needed a tent. I went into the garage and found and old cardboard box. I cut it up, taped it into a triangle tube, and there was her tent. Not even big enough for her to comfortable crawl through. I figured she'd be into it for about 5 minutes, but no. It was her prized possession for the rest of the day.

So while we were working, they climbed into the back of daddy's truck and set up their campsite. I brought out a blanket and some sippy cups of hot chocolate because it was a cool night. They found the plush purple chair, recently given to us by the neighbors, the toys, and the cardboard tent. And let's not forget Daddy's light. They were entertained for hours. And would have been happy little kids had I let them stay up later or perhaps even spend the night in there.

I remember smiling as I observed them and turning to Joel and saying, "I want to be a kid again."

How cool that something so simple can amuse them so much!

No comments: